Sunday, April 14, 2013

Gathering Intel!

This week was quite a productive week for The Expendables group. In class, we had a small lecture and were then allowed to work on our games. First, we gathered Intel about our game and its progress. We needed to tackle a few problems to get far into the game design process. One problem was spreading the cities across the globe. We did not want to have cities too close together that tracks will not be seen, safe houses will cover two cities instead of one, etc. Reviewing the cities list that we had previously made, we discovered that we indeed did not have an even distribution of cities across the globe. Without a doubt, that would have caused major playing problems as it would be easy for players in a busy region to build many safe houses while other players on more remote areas will have a hard time progressing through the game. Dwayne suggested to use the map first as our guidance on where cities should be and from that we can correlate with actual cities. That idea worked great. We were able to spread the game across the globe and utilize many familiar cities as well as cities that might not be commonly known. Those less common cities will entice players to learn more about them and thus, in a way, make the players more knowledgeable. Justin proposed an idea of putting a picture monument or a place of interest from that specific city under its marking. I disagreed based on the fact that those pictures might take up a big part of the map and in turn might overlap with some of the cities or tracks. We decided to put that idea on hold until we print an actual size game to decide whether that would work or not. Next, we faced another problem concerning the markings. Initially I came up with a strategy to allow the players to gain points at the end of the game if they have acquired missions or build safe house on cities of the same color. Although this strategy would be very beneficial in the game, we were facing a conflict involving color-blind players not being able to differentiate. Dipika came up with an idea to change the markings to different shapes and colors; that would accommodate for both types of players. Over the weekend, I worked on building the board and constructing the tracks. Each city will have three different tracks on it which will give each player the same number of options on each turn. Dipika worked on the designs and printing of the special and mission cards, while Justin worked on the resource cards designs. This week the group worked collaboratively through different problems. Even though that process was not exactly smooth and we did not always agree, we were able to eventually reach common grounds on each problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment